How Do You Keep Egg Salad From Getting Watery
Sometimes after chilling for a day or so, you might find that your egg salad is a little more runny or watery than you’d like it. Here are a few ways to prevent watery egg salad:
If you’ve already made the salad, and now it’s runny, you can try these easy fixes.
What Is Egg Salad
Egg salad is an old-fashioned dish thats composed of hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and sometimes lemon juice or a little vinegar for acid. Many people in the south also add pickle relish, either sweet or dill, to their egg salad.
The eggs are often chopped into small pieces, and the mixture is usually eaten on cold bread or crackers. Or, it can be used as a dip for raw veggies such as carrots, celery, or cucumbers. In restaurants, egg salad is commonly served in a sandwich along with lettuce, mayo, and tomato or on a bed of lettuce with crackers.
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes For Egg Salad Sandwiches
Egg salad is a fantastic choice for breakfast or lunch on a weekday.
However, if youre looking for an alternative to the traditional sandwich, serving side dishes with your egg salad could be a great way to add variety to the meal.
Side dishes can offer a lot of different flavors and textures that can enhance the meal.
A bowl of fruit is a great way to start an egg salad sandwich, as it adds fruit to the meal.
Other options include sandwiches, salads, and wraps.
Of course, theres always the classic egg salad sandwich.
This staple of the classic American breakfast has remained popular for years and years.
However, there are lots of other options that you can explore when it comes to this meal.
One of the best choices is to serve it alongside a sandwich or roll a classic combo.
Another option is to serve it on a sandwich or wrap adding extra protein to your meal.
And, if you want to amp up the flavor, serve it on a bagel perfect for a lighter meal.
Read Also: How Many Grams Of Protein Are In Eggs
How To Store Hard Boiled Eggs
Store hard boiled eggs in their shell in the fridge for up to one week. The shell will help prevent the cooked white from absorbing fridge smells.
If you’ve already peeled the hard boiled eggs, you can store them in an air-tight container with a damp paper towel for up to one week. Refresh the damp towel daily.
What To Eat With Egg Salad On Keto
Egg salad is delicious and versatile. It can be used as a sandwich spread or a side dish. It can also be used as a topping for sandwiches or in a salad.
When it comes to what to eat with egg salad on keto, you can pair it with a variety of foods. A great option is a bagel with cream cheese.
You can also pair it with a salad. Make a green salad with chicken, tuna, or turkey. Add some bacon and a slice of avocado.
Recommended Reading: Healthy Breakfast Ideas Without Eggs
Ingredients For Egg Salad
Though this is a simple recipe and uses basic ingredients, it tastes amazing. If you want to dress it up and make it fancier, try these add-ins:
- Protein- such as crispy bacon, chicken or shrimp.
- Veggies- tomatoes, cucumbers or carrots are great options. We also love dill pickle egg salad.
- Avocado- can either be cubed and added to the salad or blended with the dressing to replace some of the mayo.
Pro Tip: If you will be adding other ingredients to the salad, prepare a larger portion of the dressing.
Can You Eat Egg Salad After Four Days
My husband will eat egg salad thats been in the fridge for 5 or 6 days as long as it smells and looks okay. However, I dont advise it. Getting a food-borne illness is no fun and its definitely not cost-effective.
Always err on the side of caution and eat your egg salad within a few days of it being made.
Recommended Reading: Mcdonald’s Bacon Egg & Cheese Biscuit
What Is The Coldest Part Of Your Fridge
The coldest part of your refrigerator is different for every fridge. It could be in a drawer, on the bottom shelf, at the top near the ice maker, or at the back of the fridge. But, its definitely NOT in the doors of the refrigerator.
The temperature around the doors of a fridge fluctuates the most due to the door being opened and closed throughout the day. And because egg salad is sensitive to spoilage, its best to avoid storing it in the doors of your fridge.
Instead, opt to store your salad in the coldest part of the fridge. You can always use a fridge thermometer
How To Boil Eggs On The Stovetop
There are two egg-related questions that come up all the time:
We recommend a 4-step method that starts with cold water. Why? Because this prevents overcooking the eggs. You’ll never have to deal with dry, chalky, overcooked eggs with weirdly greenish yolks again. Nothing but beautiful bright yellow yolks and amazing texture for you! So good, you’ll want to eat them with just a sprinkle of salt.
Don’t Miss: Mcdonald’s Egg White Delight
Ways To Enjoy Egg Salad
- Straight from the bowl. Ill often eat this straight out of the bowl with a fork because its that good!
- Top it on bread. You can enjoy egg salad as an open faced sandwich, on either gluten-free toast or my falafel flatbread, with a sprinkle of microgreens on top.
- Wrap it up. Layer slices of cucumber, bell pepper, and other veggies inside tortillas, butter leaf lettuce leaves, or collard greens. Then wrap it up!
More Keto Egg Recipes
If you like this easy egg salad recipe, you might also like some of these other keto egg recipes:
- Perfect Omelette A fluffy and flavorful omelette with step by step tips and tricks.
- Keto Crustless Quiche Caprese style crustless quiche is bursting with tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese.
- Baked Avocado Egg Egg stuffed avocado is the perfect keto meal to start your dayor have for lunchor as a snack. You get the point.
- Chef Salad This easy salad takes just 15 minutes to pull together. It might be naturally keto, but everyone loves it.
- Tuna Egg Salad Tuna salad + egg salad is the perfect combination of both and an ideal meal prep option as it stores well.
- Keto Deviled Eggs If there is a more perfect snack, then I havent discovered it yet. Ready in 20 minutes and so flavorful. These always disappear.
Also Check: Egg Allergy Foods To Avoid
What To Eat Egg Salad With
Whether youre in the mood for an easy egg salad sandwich or an egg salad lettuce wrap, youve got options. Here are a few ways to enjoy this delicious egg salad:
- Lettuce Wraps A great way to serve the best keto egg salad. Use romaine or butter lettuce leaves and top with egg salad.
- Cucumber Slices Use cucumber slices as a cracker-like option for your egg salad.
- Mini Bell Peppers Cut mini bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and stem, and scoop away.
- Almond Flour Crackers These keto crackers are crunchy and buttery, and made with just 2 ingredients!
- 90-Second Keto Bread The fastest way to make keto bread only 5 ingredients needed.
- Almond Flour Bread Just like a classic wheat bread, this bread is made for classic egg salad.
Three Steps To Perfect Hard Boiled Or Soft Boiled Eggs:
1. Place eggs in a saucepan or pot and cover with cold water.
Eggs first, then water. Why? Because if you put the eggs in afterward, they might crack as they fall to the bottom of the pan. It’s no fun to learn this the hard way.
2. Put pan over high heat and bring water to a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat and cover.
How long does it take to boil an egg? Well, actually, you want the water to come just to a boil but not stay there. Eggs exposed to high heat for a long time go through a chemical reaction that turns the yolks green. So the answer to “How long do you boil hard boiled eggs?” is: pretty much not at all. Because the eggs cook in water that’s not actually boiling, some people use the term “hard-cooked” instead of “hard-boiled” eggs.
3. Drain eggs immediately and put in a bowl filled with water and ice cubes.
Why ice water? It cools the eggs down and prevents the green yolk problem. If you’re planning to peel the eggs, crack them slightly before putting them in the ice water and let them sit for an hour for maximum ease of peeling.
Also Check: Egg Cholesterol Good Or Bad
Miso Broccoli Egg & Quinoa Salad
Pack a lunch that will power you through the afternoon with this healthy miso and lime-dressed salad with broccoli, peas, boiled egg and radishes. It’s tasty and full of goodness
This fresh and vibrant salad is packed full of healthy ingredients
Classic combination of eggs, garlic and cheese make for a rich, yet fresh lunch dish
Egg Salad Nutrition Facts
Eggs are actually loaded with many healthy nutrients including protein, omega-3 fats, riboflavin and vitamin B-12. One large egg also contains 2 grams of saturated fat, about 210 milligram of cholesterol and 70 to 75 calories. Lots of folks skip the egg yolks to reduce cholesterol for fear they are not healthy, so lets set the record straight: Yolks have the same amount of protein as the whites, and most of the other nutrients are in the yolk.
Mayonnaise, which is made mostly from oil and eggs, is a high-calorie condiment. One tablespoon of mayo has 90 calories, 10 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of saturated fat and 90 milligrams of sodium. Most egg salad recipes have way more than 1 tablespoon of in them.
Don’t Miss: Hanging Egg Chairs With Stand
Best Egg Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe is an easy favorite! Nothing is more picnic perfect than hard boiled eggs mixed with mayo and a pinch of mustard and of course crunchy with celery and green onions!
Whether you make an egg salad sandwich or a healthy egg salad using lettuce or low carb wraps, nothing says all American like and egg salad!
How To Hard Boil Eggs For Egg Salad
There are several different methods but these are my favorite.
1. Instant Pot If I had to pick one way to cook hard-boiled eggs for the rest of my life, the Instant Pot would be it. Why? Theyre easy to peel and the shells dont stick!
- Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot of your Instant Pot and insert the egg or steam rack. Place eggs on the rack and securely fasten the lid.
- Set the cooking time for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release. Transfer the eggs to an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Once cool, remove the eggs from the ice bath and carefully peel and chop.
2. Stovetop In my experience, this method is somewhat more unreliable when it comes to easy-peel shells, but the eggs are going to get all chopped up, so no biggie if you lost part of the egg white to the eggshell.
- Add eggs to a large saucepan and cover with 1-2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Cover and let the eggs rest in the hot water for 10-12 minutes before transferring them to an ice bath to cool.
- Remove eggs from the ice bath, peel, and chop.
Read Also: Food To Make With Eggs
How To Cook Eggs For Egg Salad
No matter if you boil your eggs on the stove or in the instant pot, be sure they are hard-boiled, but not overcooked. Overcooked eggs end up with a green ring around the yolk. Follow these tutorials for perfect hard-boiled eggs every time:
- Perfect Boiled Eggs follow this stove-top method and boil for at least 7 minutes. Fully cooked yolks are best for salad.
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs works especially well for farm-fresh eggs, making them easier to peel.
Why Should You Add Eggs To Your Diet
Eggs are a great source of protein, vitamin D, and Iron which is why they should be included in your daily diet. People who eat eggs regularly tend to have higher levels of iron in their bodies which can help improve energy and brain function.
Eggs can also help you maintain a healthy weight because eating eggs regularly has been linked with reduced levels of obesity.
I personally love eating egg salad sandwiches because it doesnt take long to make them, and they fit in perfectly at work or school. Its also easy to eat on the go if you need something quick, which is why I think more people should try making egg salad sandwiches!
Eggs are great for your health, but they can also be used to make various dishes, including egg salad sandwiches.
Read Also: Picture Of Bed Bug Eggs
To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Mash the yolks with mayonnaise until completely smooth and then fold in the whites. This makes for the best egg salad, it comes out so creamy!
I use an egg slicer to chop the whites placing the white in the slicer, cut and then turn the egg and placing it through again. Make the chopping really quick! I use my egg slicer for other things too like strawberries, kiwi and its especially great for cutting mushrooms to make chicken marsala.
Peeling And Slicing Eggs For Egg Salad
Peel the hard boiled eggs by gently tapping them several times on a clean counter or cutting board, cracking them all over. Then gently peel the shells away from the eggs. If the shells are stubborn or clinging to the eggs, try peeling them under running water. Some eggs peel easily, while others can be frustrating. That’s just how it goes .
Use any one of these kitchen tools to quickly slice or mash them to make egg salad.
- Egg slicer slice then in one direction and then the other
- Potato masher
Don’t Miss: Breakfast Ideas With Bacon And Eggs
Gather A Few Ingredients For This Egg Salad Recipe
We are into any egg salad recipe that comes together without a trip to the store or an Instacart order and with fewer ingredients than it takes to make a ham and cheese sandwich! You will only need hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper to master Sampson’s basic egg salad.
Of course, we wondered if someone who uses so many eggs had any tricks up her sleeve for hard boiling them to perfection. Sampson told Mashed, “If we’re using fresh eggs, I like to let them age a week or two since really fresh eggs don’t peel easily.” Who knew? She also offered this tip: “When I’m cooking hard-boiled eggs, I like to put them in a pan covered with cold water, bring them to a boil, then turn them off and let them sit covered for 12 minutes before rinsing them in cold water and peeling them.”
Why You Should Store Egg Salad At Or Below 40f
There are two types of bacteria that attract attention in the food world: pathogenic and spoilage. Pathogenic bacteria can make you sick when it is ingested, while spoilage bacteria causes food to rot.
You cant see spoilage bacteria without a microscope but you can see its effects when your produce begins to rot.
Unfortunately, pathogenic bacteria, the kind that makes us ill, can be present on or in your food without you even knowing it. Many times, these types of bacteria can be present and not affect the taste, smell, or texture of your food.
Please remember, bacteria grow fastest between the temperatures of 40°F-140°F. The USDA refers to this range as the Danger Zone.
Keeping your fridge at or below 40°F will slow down the growth of these dangerous bacteria. You want to be sure your egg salad stays in its safe zone.
Inspecting the fridges temperature with a thermometer can let you know your egg salad is stored at the proper temperature.
Yes, thats a hint. If you dont have a fridge thermometer, please consider investing in one. When it comes to your family and food safety, dont play around!
Don’t Miss: Hard Boiling An Egg In The Microwave