Best Air Fryer Egg Rolls
If you know me, you know I love egg rolls. I could eat them as an appetizer or even as a main dish – I never get tired of them! But recently, I’ve been trying out new flavors to fry up in wonton wrappers using my air fryer. Philly cheesesteaks are always a hit in my household, so after trying a similar dish at a restaurant, I knew I had to combine cheesesteaks and egg rolls into this irresistible combination.
These Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are the perfect recipe for all my fellow egg roll lovers! Nothing beats the crispy, crunchy outside of an egg roll with its tender steak-filled inside. These are the egg rolls you’ve been waiting for!
No one can resist the delicious meat and cheese combo of a cheesesteak, and these Philly eggs rolls make that combo shine. I guarantee they will be the first appetizer to disappear at your next gathering.
Fry Your Crispy Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Once all of the egg rolls are made, it’s time to fry! To do so, heat about two inches of oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Use a kitchen thermometer to guide you: You’ll want a constant temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure that your crispy Philly cheesesteak egg rolls stay true to their name and come out crispy and golden, not soggy or burned.
Once you’ve hit 350 degrees, carefully add two or three egg rolls to the oil, and listen for that sizzle! “If they brown within seconds, the oil is too hot,” says McGlinn. “If they are not bubbling at all, the oil is too cold.”
Fry the egg rolls until golden, about three to four minutes, turning as needed to ensure they’re crispy and browned on all sides. Then, simply remove from the skillet to drain on a rack or paper towel-lined plate. Continue frying until all of the egg rolls have been cooked, and allow to cool slightly before serving. McGlinn eats these all on their own, but you could also make a provolone queso or a sriracha aioli for a touch of spice!
What Youll Need To Make Air Fried Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- cubanelle peppers
- I find this brand at Target.
Also Check: How To Sell Your Eggs In California
Key Ingredients In This Recipe
- Roast beef Since shaved steak is best for making Philly cheesesteak, rather than going through the process of freezing and thinly shaving the meat, I opt to use roast beef instead. The lunch meat is a great shortcut while still providing great steak flavor and texture to the filling.
- Onion Sautéed onions enhance the flavor of the cheesesteak just as grilled onions are served over classic cheesesteak sandwiches. I use a yellow onion in this recipe. Yellow onions have a mellow flavor, especially when cooked.
- Jalapeño Removing the membrane and seeds from the jalapeño cuts down on the heat while retaining the flavor and a more subtle heat.
- American cheese Though American cheese is processed, it is superior for its creamy, gooey texture and a classic pairing in cheesesteak sandwiches. White American cheese is preferred aesthetically to yellow American though either would do.
- Egg roll wrappers The oversize wrappers are made from a dough made with flour and eggs. I recommend buying egg roll wrappers from the grocery store. They can be found in the refrigerated sections. Be sure to cover the egg rolls with a damp paper towel.
What Is A Philly Cheesesteak
A philly cheesesteak is a very popular sandwich comprised of super thinly sliced steak + gooey provolone cheese both are enveloped by a hoagie roll. This is an authentic philly cheesesteak. This famous sandwich gets its name from it being of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania roots and created by Pat and Harry Olivieri.
Years after the philly cheesesteak made its debut, the addition of bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms came to be. Philadelphia natives will gladly let you know that the addition of these elements is *not* an authentic philly cheesesteak, ha!
However, these few additions have become so widely popular and many establishments now include those options. I enjoy both of the cheesesteak variations because veggies in or veggies out, its still damn delicious.
Read Also: Eggs For 6 Month Old
Cheesesteak Egg Rolls Dipping Sauces
- Sweet chili sauce I have included instructions to make this favorite dipping sauce with red pepper flakes at home, though store bought Thai sweet chili sauce can also be used. The sweet, sticky and slightly spicy dipping sauce complements the meat and cheese filling in this dish. If you prefer a more mild sauce, cut the amount of red pepper flakes in half.
- Honey Mustard Tangy honey mustard can easily be made by whisking together Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and honey.
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls Restaurant
A new restaurant in town is serving up Philly cheesesteak egg rolls and they are quickly becoming a popular item on the menu. The egg rolls are made with thinly sliced steak, onions, and peppers all wrapped up in a crispy wonton wrapper. They are then deep fried to perfection and served with a side of dipping sauce.
Don’t Miss: Green Egg Grill Ace Hardware
The 10 Best Cheesesteaks In Northern Virginia Updated August
Best Philly Cheese Steak around 11. Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory. 16 reviews. Quick Bites, Fast Food $ Menu. 19.7 mi. Alexandria My chicken cheesesteak was really good and the sidewinder chicken bacon chees… Cheesesteak ok, but was missing my peppers Order online. 12. Jersey Mike’s Subs. 31 reviews Open Now. Quick Bites, American $ Menu. 2.3 mi.
Ingredients For Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- ribeye steak: sliced thinly and then grounded.
- butter: used for sautéing the goods.
- onion: a must for ultimate cheesesteak yumminess.
- bell peppers: use whatever colors youd like!
- spices: garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- worcestershire: so flavorful and adds some depth.
- egg roll wrappers: the star of the show.
- provolone cheese: grab the pre-sliced bags.
- creamy chipotle sauce: mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, lemon juice, garlic cloves, and salt.
Whats to love about these cheesesteak egg rolls? For starters, youll love that they require minimal ingredients yet they do not compromise on flavor at all. If youre looking for a fun and unique appetizer to make, let these cheesesteak egg rolls be your sign! I just know you all will love them, too.
Also Check: Smoked Brisket Big Green Egg
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls Ingredients
These Philly cheesesteak rolls are easier to make than you might think! Heres what goes into them:
- Egg roll wrappers: Commonly found in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store, often at an end aisle or even with the salad dressings. If you cant find them just ask, because they are there!
- Sirloin or flank steak: Youll need to thinly slice the steak against the grain. I recommend sirloin if you are going to be marinating less than one hour.
- Steak marinade: Made of Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Mushrooms: are optional for the mushroom lovers. Any variety will work.
- Green bell pepper: A must when making Philly cheesesteak-anything.
- Jalapeños: Deseed and devein the peppers so theyre not too spicy.
- Cheese: shredded provolone and sharp cheddar. You can purchase a block of provolone from your deli counter then shred it yourself.
Looking For More Cheese Steak Recipes Look No Further
Tools Used in the making of these Philly Cheesesteak Hamburger Helper:Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.Chefs Knife: This knife is one of the three most used tools in my kitchen . I love it, Ive had it for almost 10 years and it is as sharp today as the day I got it. . Mind you I love it this much even though I have a ridiculously expense knife set as well.Worcestershire Sauce: Do not leave this out or sub it for anything else, this is a main flavor component and this brand is my absolute go-to.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
You May Like: Hanging Egg Chairs With Stand
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls Yas
Sheesh, yall, these cheesesteak egg rolls are a super fun spin on my classic Philly Cheesesteak Recipe which is a reader favorite btw! This recipe is exactly like enjoying a thick and juicy cheesesteak sandwich but inside of a crispy, golden brown egg roll instead of a hoagie. Theyre so insanely good!
How To Make Egg Rolls In The Air Fryer
Also Check: Food To Make With Eggs
Cheesesteak Egg Roll Ingredients:
You can find all of these ingredients in your local grocery store.
- Oil Enough oil for frying, peanut oil is the best for frying
- Oil Olive oil for sautéing
- Green Pepper-Sliced thin
- Onion-Sliced the same thickness as the peppers
- Sirloin Steak- Thinly sliced
- Monterey Jack Cheese-Shred your own cheese to avoid the anti caking agents that keep it from melting.
- Beef Broth You only need half a cup so reserve the rest for another recipe
- Steak Sauce- Adds richness and a deep beefy flavor to the mixture
- Egg Roll Wrappers- I can find these usually in the produce area in the refrigerated section
What Is A Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
This is a famous Philadelphia sandwich that combines steak, onions, peppers, and cheese on a crusty hoagie roll. The steak is a flavorful, thinly sliced rib eye that gets quickly seared on a grill or a griddle. The original Philly Cheesesteak was a simple combination of steak and onion on a hoagie. Overtime, cheese came into the picture and other veggie additions like bell peppers, mushrooms, and/or chili peppers.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Boil An Egg In The Microwave
What Are Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
These Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are a runaway touchdown that will have you on your feet celebrating their deliciousness. Or, for the more subtle type, reaching for egg roll after egg roll, after egg roll.
They are everything you love about traditional Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches but cocooned in a tantalizing crunchy wrapper. Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are stuffed with marinated steak, bell peppers, mushrooms and jalapenos smothered with cheese then fried to melty, cheesy, perfection.
How Do You Cook Frozen Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Deep fry the frozen product for approximately 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. A similar method is to bake the egg rolls in the oven on a baking sheet for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, or until they have a consistent crunch. This is the perfect dessert for your customers once theyve finished eating your egg rolls.
Cook frozen egg rolls according to the type of egg roll and the texture you want, but be careful not to overcook them. In general, you should avoid using the same cooking method for different types of egg rolls. Warm your oven to 375 degrees F and place the egg rolls on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. The key to proper egg rolls is to choose the right sauce. Its simple to pair any of the sauces with egg rolls. These are some of the best suggestions that we have made. Mix and match different egg rolls flavors with different sauces to make them a one-of-a-kind experience.
If you want to save leftovers or simply want to make simple snacks and dinner dishes, freezing Philly Cheese Steak Egg Rolls is a fantastic idea. There are 73 grams of total carbs, 46 grams net carbs, 33 grams fat, and 864 calories in these egg rolls. Theyre also an excellent way to stay energized and satisfy your hunger. Theyre also simple to prepare and will taste great if you reheat them. If youre looking for an easy and quick meal, freezing Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls is an excellent choice.
Recommended Reading: Am I Allergic To Eggs
How Many Weight Watchers Points In Cheesesteak Eggrolls
Cheesesteaks are not normally considered a low point food. That is because oftentimes it is made with fatty ingredients and the roll alone is full of points. I am using flower fat meat and using egg roll wrappers so you can easily enjoy this recipe without worrying about the points. Each cheesesteak egg roll comes in at 3 points when you use reduced fat provolone and make sure your ribeye beef is lean.
Have you joined our ? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Want to Weight Watchers for almost free? Get a Years Membership for the Price of a Month Learn More About Healthi Use Code Coach_DebiMurray to save
7 Day Healthy Meal Plan Ebook with Recipes
Want 7 days of healthy recipes the whole family will love? Get Instant Access
What Kind Of Meat Do You Use For Philly Cheesesteak
Traditionally, thinly sliced rib eye is used for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches which is what were using in these egg rolls. If you dont want to use rib eye, you could try sirloin or flank steak, or even ground beef for a different take on this dish.
The meat mixture is spooned into egg roll wrappers along with some provolone cheese. The egg rolls are then folded up and are ready to be fried.
Never folded an egg roll before? Theres a handy reference guide on the back of the egg roll wrappers! My store typically carries egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated case in the produce section.
After your Philly cheesesteak egg rolls are folded up, you can fry them immediately or cover them and store them in the fridge for up to one day before frying.
Read Also: Is Rotten Egg Smell In House Dangerous
Tips And Tricks For This Recipe
How to Bake Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
To bake rather than fry the egg rolls, start by preheating the oven to 400ºF . I recommend folding the egg rolls as directed and placing them seam side down on a baking sheet. When baking the egg rolls they have a tendency to rupture so I recommend adding less of the meat mixture. Evenly spray with vegetable oil cooking spray then bake the egg rolls until theyre golden brown all over, flipping them halfway through cooking, about 18 minutes total.
Instructions for Air Frying Egg Rolls
Air frying the egg rolls provides an easy alternative to frying while retaining that signature crunch. Heat the air fryer to 400ºF and add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Working in batches, add the egg rolls to the basket, seam side down and cook for 6 minutes, flip the egg rolls and continue to cook until golden brown all over, about an additional 4 minutes.
Swaps and Substitutions
Cook Steak And Peppers
Heat a large skillet over medium- high heat until very hot. Add steak and let cook on one side without disturbing, then proceed to cook until meat is cooked through. Take care not to overcook your steak so it remains tender instead of tough. Once cooked, transfer meat to a fine hole strainer/sieve and remove any excess liquid by pressing down on the meat mixture with a spatula. This last step is super important because excess liquid in the Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls will result in a wet and soggy wrapper which means it will likely tear when folding or cooking.
Read Also: Difference Between White Eggs And Brown Eggs
Philly Cheese Steak Egg Rolls
These Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are made with ribeye, onions, peppers and provolone cheese, all wrapped and fried to perfection. Its the ultimate appetizer or game day snack!I love a good Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, and these egg rolls have the same delicious and savory flavors in a crispy wrapper. If you also love Philly Cheesesteak, try my Philly Cheesesteak Pasta and Philly Cheesesteak.Raise your hand if you like Philly Cheesesteak! I cant get enough of this combination of steak, pepper and cheese. These Philly Cheesesteak egg rolls are a super fun appetizer, I always get so many compliments when I serve them at parties.
How Do You Fold Egg Rolls
Step 1 Prepare Surface: Line your counter with parchment paper to place rolled egg rolls if frying or line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil if baking and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Keep egg roll wrappers covered when youre not using them so the dont dry out and crack.
Step 2 Add Filling: Position an egg roll wrapper with one point towards you. Line the center with 2 tablespoons cheese and top with ¼ cup steak mixture.
Step 3 Fold: Fold bottom corner over filling then continue to roll up, firmly folding sides toward center over filling as you roll. Make sure you push out any excess air and roll your egg roll as tightly as possible to prevent the filling from leaking into the oil and the egg roll cracking.
Step 4 Seal: Moisten top corner with egg wash press firmly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. If your egg roll isnt properly sealed, it will leak when cooking, so make sure its secure!
Don’t Miss: Cheesecake Factory Cheeseburger Egg Rolls