Why This Ham Spread Recipe Works
- Uses up leftovers! Most of us have extra ham and hard-boiled eggs after the holiday and this is great way to use them up.
- Chopped ham and hard-boiled eggs are combined with a creamy mayonnaise and mustard dressing. Its cool, creamy, and delicious!
- Whether its served on a cracker or between two slices of bread, this is a super tasty spread! Ive even fill celery with it as a quick appetizer.
- Its one of my favorite leftover ham recipes along with my One Pot Ham & Penne Skillet Recipe, everyone loves that recipe! The BEST Ham & Cheese Egg Muffins great use of leftovers or even Ham and Cheese Sliders just a few slices of ham, make for an easy grab-and-go sandwich!
This is a great recipe to make whenever you have leftover ham Its the PERFECT Christmas or Easter leftover recipe!
Deviled Ham Salad Recipe:
We call ham salad by many different names sandwich spread, deviled ham salad, salad spread, bologna salad. Our version is an easy ham salad without eggs. This recipe uses only 5 ingredients leftover baked ham, miracle whip, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard.
Summer is the perfect season for sandwich spreads. What is a sandwich spread you may ask? Its really a mixture of mayo or miracle whip and relish with some type of meat that combines into a delicious salad that can be served on a sandwich or eaten with crackers. Some of our favorites are Bologna Salad, Chicken Salad with 3 ingredients, Old-Fashioned Bologna Salad, and Low Carb Lemon Chicken Salad.
Ingredients For Ham Salad
This recipe is so easy and really all you have to do is dump the ingredients and mix them up! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for ingredient measurements.
- Ham: I use a food processer to chop up my ham. But, Ive also used cubed ham that Ive had on hand too.
- Boiled eggs: Boil these up and peel them before you start this recipe.
- Mayonnaise: Classic in a ham salad recipe, the mayo combines all of the ingredients together.
- Celery: Chop this up into small pieces before mixing it in.
- Onion: I love the flavor that this onion brings to this recipe!
- Relish: A classic ingredient to these types of salad recipes.
- Mustard: You can use regular or spicy mustard, its totally up to you.
- Salt and pepper: These are added in to taste.
- Parsley: This flavor brings such a good taste to the salad.
- Lemon: You can use lemon juice from a bottle but I prefer fresh. Its a much brighter taste.
Also Check: The Salad Shop New Haven
You May Like: Big Green Egg Xl For Sale
How To Store Leftover Ham Salad
This recipe for ham salad makes about 2 servings. And, as you may have guessed, it makes for great leftovers. So you might want to double – or triple – the recipe when you make it.
Honestly, I think it tastes even better leftover since the flavors have more time to develop. And speaking of leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and keep ’em in the fridge for up to 4 days.
However, if you want to keep this ham salad for even longer, you can totally freeze it. To do that, just freeze the ham salad in an airtight container – or freezer-safe bag – with the air squeezed out and it will stay good for up to 1 month.
How To Make Ham Salad
You May Like: Steak On The Big Green Egg
Ham Salad Spread Recipe Allrecipes
- Summary: Mix ham, eggs, celery, pickle relish, and onion together in a medium bowl until combined. Mix mayonnaise and mustard together in a small bowl pour over ham
- Matching search results: Back when I was in high school, there was such a nice, friendly grocery store in town that was family-owned called Burgers on Ridge Road in Munster, Indiana, and they had the best ham salad! I remember waiting in line for this, sometimes as long
Ham And Cheese Egg Muffins
Is there anything more heartwarming for breakfast than egg muffins?
Theres just something so cozy about them. I dont even know what it is, but I adore them.
This recipe takes the traditional egg muffin recipe up a notch. Youll add ham steak, green onions, and cheddar. Plus a little salt, pepper, and garlic.
These are eggy, earthy, and herby. Have them for breakfast or a mid-day snack.
Theyre a great source of protein and are 100% keto-friendly. Enjoy!
Read Also: Big Green Egg Prices Costco
More Of My Favorite Sandwich Recipes
- Creamy, classic Chicken Salad loaded with grapes, apples, celery and walnuts makes the perfect sandwich on bread or croissants!
- My Tuna Salad Sandwich has creamy avocado and eggs for a great lunch!
- Cucumber Sandwiches are so easy to make and the perfect idea for bridal and baby showers, Mothers Day, Easter, or tea.
- Egg Salad Sandwiches are another great way to use up all the leftover hard-boiled eggs.
How To Make My Old
First, chop up your ham into cubes.
Youll want to do the same for your boiled eggs too.
Place your cooked ham in a mixing bowl.
Add the mayo.
See how easy this is already?
Then the pickle relish.
Add in your mustard.
Dont stress if you dont have this exact type of mustard. Just use what you have on hand and roll with it. Some of the best recipes came about by folks using what they had on hand.
Finally, season with black pepper to taste.
Here we go. Ready to stir!
It doesnt look too pretty right now but hang in there with me.
After you have everything all stirred up, add in your chopped boiled eggs.
Stir gently. Your ham salad spread is now ready! This recipe makes about three cups of delectable ham salad.
You can refrigerate it for a while to allow the flavors to blend well or you can just eat it right now.
Guess which one Im gonna do?
Recommended Reading: Papa John’s Egg Harbor Township
The Best Ham Salad Recipe
If you’ve never had ham salad before, you might think it’s a little odd. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first, but after giving it a go, I don’t plan on ever going back to basic egg salad ever again!
Seriously, this ham salad is like egg salad but taken to a whole new level of tasty tastiness. With the addition of leftover ham, and a few of my secret ingredients, what would be an average egg salad recipe becomes something so much more.
And, honestly, this ham salad recipe is basically just as quick and easy to make as a regular egg salad recipe is. So, there really are no downsides to whipping this up.
Also, as I mentioned, you can make a killer ham salad sandwich out of this salad, but you can also serve it on some crackers, or spread it on this garlic bread for a killer lunch.
Anyway, having said all of that, any way you decide to eat this ham salad will be delicious!
Tips For The Best Ham Salad Recipe
- Use a food processor or blender to finely chop the ham, egg and vegetables. You can certainly do this by hand with a good knife and cutting board, but it will take much longer!
- Do not puree the ingredients into a paste. Instead, just pulse the food processor or blender in short bursts until everything is uniformly minced.
- Use a high-quality mayonnaise since this important ingredient adds so much flavor to the dish. Dukes mayo is our favorite!
- Use an ice cream scoop to perfectly portion the ham salad onto slider buns for little sandwiches.
- Add more mayonnaise, to taste, if you like your salad a bit looser.
- If time allows, let the salad sit in the refrigerator overnight so that the flavors can come together. Its even better the next day!
Read Also: How Many Calories In Egg Yolk
Also Called Deviled Ham Salad This Recipe Is Made With Ground Or Chopped Ham With Sweet Pickle Relish And Mayo And Is Amazing On Sandwiches Or Crackers
You know what my favorite thing about baking a ham is? Using the leftovers! I love making a big ol’ pot ofHam & Beans and making Ham Salad!
And I love it. Like, I love it, love it. As in, get up at midnight, go downstairs and eat it out of the container with a spoon, love it.
Heres my recipe for Ham Salad a.k.a. Deviled Ham Salad a.k.a Pickle Wrap Spread or Dip.
I’d learned from readers that a lot of folks make Ham Salad out of bologna and it seems to almost have a cult-like following so one of these days, I think I’ll have to try it.
I don’t typically like sweet relish with the exception of two things: hot dogs and ham salad. I think it’s probably because the sweet balances the salty meat and the acid from the vinegar balances the fat.
If you hate sweet pickle relish, by all means, leave it out!
Oven Roasted Gives It Flavor
For me, a good chicken salad has to have a nice balance of being able to taste the moist roasted chicken along with the creaminess and taste of mayonnaise. This recipe strikes a good balance of both and the other add-in ingredients, like the celery and onion are all optional to suite your tastes. However, if you want a faster option, try using your air fryer! My Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe is a great substitute here.
Don’t Miss: Green Eggs And Ham Book Online
How To Make Homemade Chicken Salad:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. On a baking sheet, place chicken breasts skin side up. Drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and then sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.
Cook for about 35-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Allow chicken to cool before continuing. Once chicken is cool, remove meat. You can save the bones and skin for chicken stock later, if you prefer. Cut the chicken up into bite size chunks. In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, onion and salt & pepper.
I usually add about 2 teaspoons of salt and maybe a ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add in diced chicken and stir.
Serve on your favorite bread or just a bed of lettuce or eat it all by itself!
Frequently Asked Questions About Potato Salad:
How do I keep my potato salad from drying out?
As this cools the potatoes will continue to soak up the dressing. It’s just what potatoes do, they like to soak up whatever they are mixed with. So, if you notice your salad is just a little dry when you are ready to serve, add a little more milk or chicken stock and some mayonnaise and it will restore the creaminess of your potato salad.
Do I have to use mayonnaise?
For a classic potato salad, mayonnaise is required. You could use Miracle Whip but I do not like Miracle Whip at all so I would never use it personally. Want a “mayo-less” potato salad? Be sure to check out my recipe for German Potato Salad
Is it better to boil potatoes whole or cut up for potato salad?
It’s better to cut up potatoes before boiling them. They cook much faster when cut first. Also, you can leave the skin on the potatoes if you prefer.
Do you have to put eggs in potato salad?
Nope. You can leave them out if you prefer.
How do you make potato salad taste better?
Use chicken stock. It is my secret ingredient! Also, use fresh ingredients. Don’t use store-bought hard-boiled eggs unless you are confident of the fresh taste. Sometimes store-bought hard boiled eggs have a funky taste to them and they can really throw off the taste of your whole salad. To make your own, check out my how-to HERE.
How so I store leftovers?
Also Check: How Much Protein In An Egg White
Ham Egg And Cheese Casserole
Ham, egg, and cheese casserole takes just 5 minutes of prep work to whip up. Then, youll stick it in the oven and let it do all the hard work.
Its a great way to use up extra bread and ham. If you need an easy way to feed a crowd, this recipe is it.
Honestly, this recipe had me at Gruyere cheese and caramelized shallots.
Doesnt that sound like heaven on a plate?! It does to me, anyway!
If thats not enough to sell you on this frittata, Ive got more. Picture salty, smoky ham, earthy green onions, and the fluffiest of fluffy textures.
Thats this frittata in a nutshell. Try it just once, and youll be hooked for life.
Best Ham And Egg Recipes To Make For Breakfast
Ham and cheese is a classic American combination. Unfortunately, ham and egg recipes dont get the same appreciation.
Thats a shame because ham and egg recipes are awesome.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Theyre every bit as delicious as ham and cheese and so versatile!
You can make ham and egg breakfast sandwiches, omelets, burritos, and more!
You can put ham and eggs in practically anything, and itll taste incredible.
So if youre here looking for more boring ham and cheese recipes, youre out of luck.
This list is all about ham and egg recipes instead.
This hearty omelet is an excellent way to start your morning right. Its cheesy, fluffy, and protein-heavy.
You can jazz it up with veggies and herbs if you like.
However, you can just as easily whip it up with six simple ingredients. Either way, its sure to satisfy.
This tasty morning meal combines eggs, ham, cheese, and scallions. It tastes similar to the omelet but is on toast instead.
Its crunchy, buttery, and not nearly as dry and dull as plain toast.
Spice up your morning routine with this 15-minute recipe that everyone will love.
Don’t Miss: Extra Space Storage Egg Harbor Township Nj
Chef Jenns Tips To Make Creamy Deli Ham Salad
- I use mayo and sour cream instead of just mayo. Personally, I think the jarred stuff is nasty, so I cut it with sour cream. The result is a less sweet version with a bit of tang. In this dish, its a perfect match.
- I use dill vs sweet pickle relish in this recipe. I think we get enough sweet the dill is delicious. Try it!
- You can pop the pickle into the food processor to chop, but I love the lovely larger bits of dill pickle, so I chop it by hand.
- You can also use store-bought dill pickle relish if you dont want to chop it.
- Add enough sour cream and mayo until its as creamy as youd like it to be!
How To Store Deviled Ham Salad Recipe
This tasty salad will keep in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to a week.
You can freeze leftover ham but I wouldnt freeze this salad. Instead, freeze your ham and then thaw it when youre ready to make the salad.
Frozen and thawed ham tends to give off some water so be sure to drain it well before using thawed ham.
How long does ham salad last?
It has dairy and mayonnaise in it, so it shouldnt be left at room temperature for more than 3-4 hours. Otherwise, itll keep for up to about a week in the fridge. Keep it tightly wrapped.
Is old-fashioned ham salad the same as deviled ham?
They are similar but not quite the same. Deviled ham tends to have a few more ingredients in it, and there are huge variations in the recipes. This deli ham salad recipe is simpler and has fewer variations.
Is old-fashioned ham salad healthy?
Ham is lean and theres relatively little sour cream and mayonnaise in it. Use low fat mayo and sour cream if you want to keep the fat down. So, its a great low-fat choice. Ham, however, is high in sodium so you might want to look at those numbers if youre watching your daily sodium.
How many calories are in ham salad?
In this old-fashioned ham salad recipe made with full-fat mayonnaise and sour cream, there are about 230 calories per generous 1/2 cup serving.
Read Also: Best Egg Loan Status Pending
Ham And Cheese Scrambled Eggs
Scrambled eggs are always a hit, and cheesy scrambled eggs are even better.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Cheesy scrambled eggs with diced ham and chives? Yeah. Thats pretty much a home run.
These fluffy eggs take just 10 minutes to make. Theyre light, supremely cheesy, and have a zingy kick from the ranch.
Give them a try the next time plain eggs arent enough.
These low-carb ham cups use five ingredients and take 40 minutes to make.
Theyre salty and entirely filling. Plus, they combine green onions and cheese, a superb combination.
Best of all, they take practically no effort to make. Even the most beginner of chefs can pull these together with no problems.