What About The Leftovers
Just like egg muffins, leftovers are perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Fridge Theyll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or the oven.
FreezerCan you freeze breakfast casserole? Yes, you sure can! This will last in the freezer up to four months. Wrap individual and store in freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or the oven
Mix The Eggs Sour Cream Salt And Pepper
For this step, you will need a large mixing bowl. Toss in the eggs, sour cream, salt, and pepper, and mix until well-combined. Once everything is mixed well, toss in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. “The secret ingredient in this casserole is the sour cream. It makes the eggs really fluffy and gives them a nice flavor,” Morone notes. “You could actually always use sour cream in your scrambled eggs instead of milk or heavy cream for a better flavor and texture.”
Now, add the remaining green onions, the cooked sausage, and the hash browns to the mix. Remember, you should have let the frozen hash browns thaw ahead of time. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
How To Make Tex
All you need is a skillet and casserole dish to make this hearty breakfast special! You do all the cooking in one pan, assemble everything in the casserole dish, and bake. A no-fuss, straightforward recipe- precisely what hectic mornings call for!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Breakfast Ideas Without Eggs
Tools For Making This Breakfast Casserole:
Square Glass Baking Dish I prefer glass to metal any day of the week. It looks nicer longer and usually comes with a lid.
Box Cheese Grater- See my notes above on the importance of grating your own cheese. Use a low moisture cheese and grate right before adding for best results!
To Bake Or Make Ahead
Cook it now or refrigerate overnight At this point you can either bake the casserole and serve or you can cover and refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning.
Bake NowSimply pour the egg mixture overtop and bake. Unlike a strata or french toast type recipe, you do not need to wait as there is no bread to soak up the mixture. So just make and bake.
Bake Later Cover the mixture tightly and refrigerate up to 48 hours. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before baking .
Recommended Reading: Egg Beaters Vs Egg Whites
This Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Is Loaded With Delicious Breakfast Sausage Hash Browns And Lots Of Cheese One Of The Best Breakfast Casserole Recipes For Holiday Breakfasts Sunday Brunch Or Any Other Occasion
Hearty breakfast casserole recipes are something that I love but dont get the opportunity to indulge in very often. Breakfast just isnt a big deal in our house.
Make sure you PIN Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole!
Mornings are hectic already so I tend to just stick to with the quick and easy basics. Eggs, smoothies, toast and fruit, those things.
But sometimes on the weekends I let myself indulge, like in this hashbrown breakfast casserole. Its a hearty and filling breakfast casserole, packed with two of my favorite breakfast foods sausage and hash browns.
And cheese, lots of cheese. ALL THE CHEESE!!!!!
Samantha says: I LOVE how many hash browns are in this recipe. Its perfect for a big cozy family brunch. I cant wait to make it again!
To keep this Sausage Hashbrown Casserole quick and easy, I use cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage and refrigerated hash browns.
Im talking real hash browns here, not the hash brown patties like those served at McDonalds.
Frozen hash browns would also work in this recipe but you need to cook them first according to the instructions on the package so I just like to save time by using refrigerated hash browns.
PRO TIP: Frozen hash browns have additional water from the freezing process. Before using them in any recipe, making sure to cook them according to package instructions.
Usually this just means heating them in a large skillet.
Adding them frozen could lead to a soupy, soggy breakfast casserole.
Super easy and no fuss!
How To Make It Overnight
This recipe can also be made the night before and stored in your fridge until ready to bake. To make this recipe overnight: follow the recipe as directed up until you would place the casserole in the oven. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight.
When you’re ready to bake the casserole, bake as directed and complete the recipe.
You May Like: Breakfast Ideas With Bacon And Eggs
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes That You Might Enjoy:
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet drain.
- While the sausage cooks, prepare the egg mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In the prepared baking dish, combine hash brown potatoes, cooked sausage, 1 cup of cheese and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Pour egg mixture over top.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over top. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This Simple Hash Brown Casserole Is Hearty And Filled With Flavor Feed A Crowd Or Enjoy The Leftovers All Week Long
Every holiday season, I always make a hash brown casserole with eggs, lots of cheese and whatever Im hankering for that particular day. This year Im sharing my favorite version: hash brown casserole with eggs, sausage and loads of mushrooms.
Breakfast casseroles are a great dish for any time of year. They feed a crowd, for one thing. And even if you dont have a crowd at your house, leftovers are so delicious reheated that you can have an easy, hot breakfast all week long. I prefer a hash brown casserole because I love that its everything youd find on a breakfast plate at your favorite diner in one easy dish!
I put an entire pound of mushrooms in this hash brown casserole recipe along with two pounds of ground sausage! Another pound of hash browns is used for the crust along with almost a dozen eggs.
This hash brown casserole is not for the faint of heart.
But it is for anyone who loves a breakfast casserole thats hearty and filled with flavor. I know that I definitely fall into that category!
More delicious breakfast recipes:
Don’t Miss: Calories For 1 Large Egg
Breakfast Casserole With Hash Browns Eggs And Sausage
This breakfast casserole recipe is inspired by the kind of food I cook on camping trips. Ive taken this exact recipe combination and made it in a Dutch oven or sometimes in foil packets and cooked it over a campfire or grill. Of course, you dont have to camp to enjoy this meal.
This delicious breakfast casserole is made with hash browns, cheese, eggs and sausage. Enjoy this cheesy casserole for breakfast or brunch ! You make the rules!
To Make Overnight Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole:
- Follow the recipe directions to assemble this casserole.
- Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, uncover the dish. Let it sit at room temperature as the oven preheats.
- Then, bake it the exact same way as listed in the directions. The cooking time is the same either way.
This easy breakfast casserole is a great make ahead breakfast or brunch recipe. And, its perfect for feeding a crowd.
Also Check: How To Make An Easter Egg
How To Make Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole:
- Add breakfast sausage to a large skillet.
- Break it apart and cook it until its completely brown. Drain off any fat.
- Add frozen shredded potatoes, the cooked sausage, and shredded cheddar cheese to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine. Then, transfer to a large baking dish.
- Add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper to a large bowl.
- Whisk until well scrambled. Then, pour the eggs over the hash browns.
Can You Freeze Egg Casserole
Egg casserole is one of my favorite meals to freeze. It makes breakfasts super easy to pull off.
You can freeze this dish in one of two ways.
To freeze the assembled casserole:
To freeze this as a kit:
Also Check: What Can Be Used As Egg Substitute
Sausage Egg Hash Brown Casserole
I love breakfast recipes that can be made ahead of time! It makes mornings so much easier on special occasions.
It is as simple as making it the night before, covering and placing it in the fridge. The next morning you pull it out and warm it up in the oven to serve to your family and guests.
Serve with our overnight banana nut bagel french toast casserole for an easy breakfast option.
You will love the flavor combination of the two varieties of sausage mixed with eggs, hashbrowns, and cheese. This will become your new favorite breakfast in your home.
Cook’s Tips And Recipe Variations:
- I prefer using whole milk or cream for this recipe. I don’t recommend low-fat or fat-free milk, since the fat in the milk or cream helps create the rich egg custard for the dish.
- Substitute other cheeses for the cheddar. For instance, try Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss or Gruyere.
- Add diced, sautéed vegetables to the casserole. You can use mushrooms, onion and bell peppers, for example. A can or two of chopped green chiles would also be delicious!
- Make the breakfast casserole with bacon or ham instead of the sausage. You will need about 2 – 2.5 cups of diced ham or cooked, crumbled bacon.
- Give the dish some “kick” by using spicy sausage.
Read Also: How Many Protein Is In An Egg
Recipe Tips And Notes
- It is best to use DEFROSTED hashbrowns for this recipe. You can brown your hash browns first before layering in your baking dish if you prefer the texture of crispy hash browns mixed with creamy eggs.
- If you opt to use tater tots instead of hashbrowns, do not defrost before layering in your casserole, but you will need to increase bake time by 5-10 minutes.
- Feel free to use only Â½ pound of sausage instead of a full pound if you would like to cut back on the amount of sausage used.
- This breakfast casserole recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd. Most bags of frozen hash browns come in 32 ounces and this recipe only calls for 16 ounces. Prepare as directed, but bake in a 9×13 pan.
- Feel free to add an additional 2 eggs to the custard if you like a really thick layer of eggs–just increase the bake time by 10 minutes.
- Be sure your pan is a 9×9 or 11×7 or you may need to increase bake time by 10 minutes.
How Do You Make Sausage Egg Hash Brown Casserole
This sausage egg hash brown casserole comes together super quickly.
Also Check: How To Sell Your Eggs In California
Preheat The Oven And Cook The Sausage
Before you do anything else, you will need to preheat your oven to 350 F. Then, spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set it to the side for the time being.
Take out a large skillet and place it on your stove. Turn the heat to medium-high and toss in the breakfast sausage. Continue cooking the sausage until it’s no longer pink, which should take about 7 minutes. Use a spoon or something similar to break apart the sausage as it cooks. Then, add the green onion whites and continue cooking them with the sausage for about 3 minutes.
Now, you can remove the pan from heat and set it to the side.
How To Make This Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
To keep it Whole30, its important to find compliant breakfast or Italian sausage. I prefer to use Butcher Box sausage, but Ive also included a recipe below for making your own!
The same thing goes for the hash browns. The only place Ive found compliant pre-cut frozen hash browns is Sprouts . You can easily use a cheese grater or food processor to shred 3 potatoes instead! Or if youre not doing a Whole30 and dont mind a few additives, there are plenty of frozen hash browns to be found in the freezer aisle.
Recommended Reading: What Is Egg Substitute Made Of
Add Remaining Green Onions Serve And Enjoy
Once you remove the casserole from the oven, add the remaining green onions on top and serve. How easy was that? With hashbrowns, cheese, and sausage, this dish is a complete meal on its own. Of course, you could always add your favorite topping, like hot sauce, salsa, or ketchup, if you wish. “This casserole is great for a weekend brunch or a special occasion breakfast,” Morone notes. “You can also make it over the weekend and reheat it for an easy weekday breakfast.”
Anything left? Be sure to keep it for another meal. “You should store leftovers covered in the fridge, and they will be good for 3 to 4 days, just reheat leftovers in the microwave,” Morone shares. We hope this dish hits the spot.
How Much Does It Cost To Make This Sausage Egg Hash Brown Casserole
We always assume that making it at home will cost less money than buying it elsewhere. This is often, but not always the case. Lets see how much an egg bake really costs, shall we?
This casserole is made from some basic ingredients, ingredients that when bought at regular, non-sale prices break down as follows:
- sausage $1.99
- frozen hash browns $1.00
- seasonings $0.02
Based on full price ingredients, this casserole costs $6.98, or 87 cents a serving. Not bad for a filling, make-ahead breakfast, but you can do even better!
Also Check: How Many Calories In Eggs
Gather The Ingredients For This Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
You will first need to head to the store and load up your cart with ingredients. For this dish, you need breakfast sausage, green onions, eggs, sour cream, salt, black pepper, sharp cheddar cheese, jack cheese, and shredded hash browns. “You can switch up the cheeses to others if you prefer. I like to use a combination of cheddar and pepper jack, because I like the flavor that pepper jack brings to it, but some people use all cheddar or combinations like cheddar and Monterey jack,” Morone says. “It’s totally up to you.”
Once you have those things, you can make this cheesy breakfast casserole.
How To Make Hashbrown And Sausage Breakfast Casserole
As I mentioned, the key to this sausage breakfast casserole is all in making the potatoes nice and crispy before adding them to the casserole dish.
You May Like: Hard Boiled Eggs In Airfryer